Fellowship & Growth
We now offer a year round intergenerational Sunday School class that meets in the Fellowship Hall. We also have one adult class for those that prefer that method of learning and growing.
Contact the church office for information on current programs.
- Congregational Retreat: Each year, our congregation gets away for a retreat at Laurel Ridge, the Moravian camp, conference, and retreat center located in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Fries’ annual retreat is usually held in the fall, when the mountains are alive with color. We arrive in time for supper on Friday evening and stay through lunch on Sunday. A structured program of learning is provided, as well as free time for enjoying the mountains. All meals are included in the cost – no cook for an entire weekend! Contact: Church Office (336-722-2847).
- Gemeinschaft: Gemeinschaft is a program of spiritual renewal written for the Southern Province of the Moravian Church.Gemein” means community; “Schaft” means shaped or formed. The purpose of Gemeinschaft is to provide an intentional and disciplined program which will enable people of faith to grow, to deepen, to experience, and to learn. This objective is achieved through the creation of small groups (5-7 members) that meet for prayer, reflection, scripture reading, fellowship, and listening to God and one another. Gemeinshaft is a three-year program (referred to as Gemeinshaft I, II, and III) that must be taken in sequence but not necessarily in consecutive years.
Gemeinschaft groups form in mid-August and meet weekly for 40 weeks. Meetings include a light meal and last for approximately 2.5 hours. Provincial contact: Judy Knoft (336-722-8126).Click here for more in-depth information on Gemeinschaft.
- Prayer Chain: The prayer chain is responsible for acting on and passing along requests for prayer. Contact the Church Office to submit a request.
- Vacation Bible School: Our VBS program is geared to children and youth, but all ages are welcome! The format, theme, and timeframe vary from year to year. Contact: Church Office (336-722-2847).
- Youth Camp: A Moravian summer tradition is camping at Laurel Ridge. The camping program is designed for four different age groups: Pre-Junior (grades 1-2), Junior (grades 3-5), Junior High (grades 6-8) and High School (grades 9-12). In addition, several youth and adult Mission Camps are conducted throughout the summer. Contact: Laurel Ridge website.
Bible Studies & Workshops
Throughout the year, we offer a variety of Bible studies and workshops. Refer to the Calendar for current offerings.
- Chicken Pie Group: Chicken pies are a Moravian tradition, and Fries has its own dedicated group of pie bakers that meets once per month. The pies are used for fundraisers and fellowship suppers. Contact: Virginia Crater.
- Fries Fellowship: At Fries, the Women’s Fellowship has evolved into the Fries Fellowship, and is comprised of men, women and children. The Fries Fellowship organizes a variety of fellowship activities, such as meals and fundraisers, and trims the candles for our Christmas Eve Love Feast services. Contact: Margie Lamb.
- A Women’s Bible Study that meets the 4th Tuesday of the month (except December, we meet the 3rd) at StarBucks Coffee on Stratford Road. For More Information contact Pastor Kelly.
- Adult Choir: Our choir is always seeking new members and guest performers — no audition required! The choir meets on Thursdays from 7:00 – 8:00 in the Music Room (lower level). Contact: Michael Westmoreland.
- Children’s Choir: Meets on Sunday morning from 9:30 – 10:00 a.m. during the school year. Contact: Julie Snyder, director.
- Band: Like most Moravian churches, Fries has a traditional brass band that plays before special services and at the Easter Sunrise Service. If you don’t know how to play an instrument but would like to learn, the Moravian Church provides lessons free of charge and has an instrument-loan program. Contact: Cameron Snyder.
Volunteer Opportunities – Worship
If you would like to help with any of the following activities, please contact the church office (336-722-2847).
- Band / Choir / Hand Chimes / Special Music
- Children’s Message
- Children’s Music
- Children’s Worship
- Lector / Lay Scripture Reader / Holy Week Reader
- Nursery Attendant
- Sacristan (prepare Holy Communion)
- Service Recording
- Sunday School Teacher
Volunteer Opportunities – Other
- Community Events & Fundraisers: Throughout the year, we conduct a variety of events that are designed to engage our surrounding community or raise funds for church projects. Examples include chicken pie suppers, community band concerts, yard sales, etc. We are always looking for extra hands to help with all aspects of these functions — set-up, clean-up, execution, and promotion. Contact: Church Office (336-722-2847).
- Lovefeast Servers: A Moravian tradition is the Lovefeast service, which is held several times throughout the year and three times on Christmas Eve. During the Lovefeast service, the congregation is served a mug of coffee and a Lovefeast bun. At Christmas Eve, candles are also served. We can always use extra servers to assist with these services. Contact for dieners (ladies who serve the Love Feast meal): Vickie Haga or Tommy McNulty. Contact for coffee carriers (men who assist the dieners): John H. Petree.
- Office Help:
Assist with a variety of office tasks on an ongoing basis. Examples of tasks include folding bulletins and newsletters, straightening the sanctuary, posting hymn numbers, providing computer support, etc. Contact: Church Office (336-722-2847).