From its 1876 origins as a Sunday School for neighborhood children, Fries Memorial Moravian Church has embraced the great commission of our Lord Jesus Christ. In addition to inviting neighbors and friends in the community to join us in worship, special services and Bible School programs, Fries Memorial Moravian members are actively involved in local and foreign missions.
Our outreach ministry includes the following:
Within Our Community
- Project Linus: Project Linus is a community volunteer group that provides blankets and afghans to warm and comfort seriously ill and traumatized children from infants through age 18. Fries Moravian is a designated center for collection of these donations. Contact: Margie Lamb.
- Special Projects: Fries members have participated in a number of local projects to help the underserved in our community, most recently on a Habitat for Humanity build. Projects are often brought to the congregation’s attention by its members. Contact: Church Office.
- Sunnyside Ministry: For more than 10 years, Fries Moravian members have brought Sunday donations of peanut butter for Sunnyside Ministry clients. The congregation also collects at least one Sunnyside offering at one of our special services, often the Christmas Eve lovefeast. Contact: Church Office.
Outside Our Community
- Adopt a Village (Ipuli, Tanzania): In 2007, several local Moravian churches adopted this African village to support a growing Moravian Church there. Donations have helped complete the church structure and provide food and education for children in the village. Contact: Church Office.
- Youth Mission Camp: For one week each summer, Fries youth travel to the mountains of North Carolina to do home repairs for seniors in need of help. Contact: Church Office.
- Special Missions: Through the years, Fries members have traveled to Bethel, Alaska; Central America; the Caribbean and Africa to support Moravian missions. Members have also traveled to storm-torn areas of the United States to help with clean-up and rebuilding projects. Chicken-pie fundraisers and member donations to the church’s mission fund help members cover their travel and living expenses while representing our congregation in mission. Contact: Church Office.