Following the school shootings in Parkland, Florida we are using this hymn for worship on Sunday February 18th.
Giving Up Inaction 4 Lent
The violence and hostility so prevalent in our world call for action. The school shootings in Parkland Florida, violence against women, terrorism, chronic fueling of hostility, and the widespread abuse of power in our world all call for action. Let us see this Lenten season as a season of action.
As followers of Jesus, we act as He acted:
- We act through faithfulness to our baptism as “God’s beloved” community as Jesus lived faithfully to His baptism.
- We commit ourselves to act through the disciplines of prayer and worship as Jesus did.
- We commit ourselves to actively, and courageously, engage the powers and principalities that destroy life as Jesus did.
- We commit ourselves to act through servant ministry with the most vulnerable as Jesus did.
- We commit ourselves to act as vessels for God’s peace and justice as Jesus did.
- We commit ourselves to act by proclaiming, in word and deed, the Good News of God’s infinite love for all humanity revealed in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
This Lenten season, I invite us to give up any inaction that is fueled by cynicism and fatalism. I invite us to give up reactive finger-pointing and blaming that serves to distance ourselves from creative, courageous, and redemptive acts of faith. Below are some opportunities for faithful action with our Fries community this coming week.
As followers of Jesus, we are “more than conquerors.” In the face of evil, we proclaim Good News with our courageous acts of faithfulness. Our Lamb has conquered. Let us follow Him!
Sunday February 18th
9:30 am Christian Education
11:00 am Worship with Holy Communion
Noon Parents, Youth meet over lunch (Respond to a ministry partnership offer)
7:20 pm Taize Prayer Service at Shallowford Presbyterian Church. (Link)
Wednesday February 21st
11 am Yoga led by Brandy Westmoreland
5:45 pm Light Lenten Meal
6:30 pm Lenten Series: Our 5 “Dream Teams” gather & develop creative action steps carrying through on priority initiatives as identified in our Faithful Future for Fries planning process. (Link)
7:00 pm Christian Education Committee
Friday February 23rd
9:30 am – 2 pm Leadership Focus workshop at Trinity Moravian Church
Saturday February 24th
9:00 am – 2:15 pm Multiple leadership training workshops at Kernersville Moravian Church.
Click here for workshop descriptions.